September 21, 2015

Decorative Tweak: Blue and White Porcelain

Baby Paley once said, “you can never be too rich, too thin, or own too much blue and white porcelain.” So ubiquitous is its appeal yet so distinctively curated is its appearance that no matter how the exotically patterned ware is incorporated into your décor scheme, it almost always translates successfully. Blue-and-white’s elasticity of usage is perhaps one of the principal reasons its highly appreciated status among designers and collectors has never diminished. Aside from the fact that the blue-and-white touch can invigorate even the most feeble color schemes, I find its illusory depictions of the East inexplicably alluring, seductive, and a tad mischievous.
 From left: 1. The Pink Pagoda; 2, 3, and 6 The Enchanted Home; 4  Etsy; Pearl River E Mart

Whether it's scattered throughout your living space, grouped into dramatic niches, or used in a more minimalistic way as a room's main focal point, blue and white porcelain adds instant sophistication to a space. My favorite arrangements, however, are dramatic corner, console, and mantle groupings. Since my apartment has an open rectangular floor plan (as opposed to the usual square city lofts), I thought a dramatic corner grouping would  visually deepen the space. One more jar and my collection (for this area anyway) is complete!