October 29, 2015

Kitchen Envy

My first apartment’s kitchen was nothing to brag about. It was basically a closet with some appliances and pantry. Pinterest has great ideas for exploiting every little cranny in a tiny kitchen, but there are still some pretty big compromises that have to be made (like never making anything from scratch). Now that I have a new apartment with a spacious kitchen, I’m celebrating by making this list of kitchen essentials that you can buy now, add to your holiday wish list, or drool over until you can afford a bigger place ;-)

1.    KitchenAid mixer—no kitchen is complete without one of these. Even if you rarely use it, you must have one sitting out on your counter. They are made to be seen, preferably in a bright color.
2.     Ninja blender—high performance blender with a reasonable price tag. My mom and I made smoothies, icees, and milkshakes all the time when I was a kid. We must have gone through one blender per year for 18 years. No brand could withstand our addiction to blended fruit. Then she introduced me to the Ninja 3 years ago and it’s still going strong.
3.     Copper bottom cookware—satisfies the three rules of stovetop cooking: heat distribution, heat distribution, heat distribution. Vintage Revere Ware produced from 1939 to 1968 (the years it was manufactured in the US), was some of the best cookware ever made. I've been collecting individual pieces for years, but full sets can be found on Ebay and Etsy. Identifying logos is key to finding the right set, as the ones made during the good years have distinctive designs.
4.    Le Creuset dutch oven—if you’re going to buy a quality dutch oven, go with cast iron. Le Crueset’s is a classic.
5.    Global chef’s knife—appropriately labeled, because chefs really do use this thing.
6.   Keurig—a quicker, easier, less messy way to make hot drinks. I really didn't know what I was missing out on in the mornings until I bought one. I prefer the K200 version because you can brew a larger amount (up to a 4 cup carafe) at one time.
7.   Kate Spade's All In Good Taste Line—beautifully patterned, vibrantly colored accessories that will brighten up any neutral-hued kitchen.

                  spreader knives   casserole pot   apple mug   frying pans