May 1, 2016

The All-Occasion Spring Dress

It’s official…I’ve found the perennial answer to the "dressy casual" dilemma. Island Company's Blueberry Classic Shift is dressy enough for Derby parties and casual enough for weekend errands. There are sooo many outfit possibilities here…blazer, pumps, and a leather tote for work; strappy heels and a clutch for a night out; little white tennis shoes and a straw tote for a trip to the farmer’s market. It’s truly a closet workhorse. I bought it last summer on the Vineyard and I’m currently kicking myself for having waited this long to wear it. And the material! Linen has become one of my favorite summer fabrics, despite its tendency to crease. Setting aside my love for crispness and structure, I'm eager to stock up on breezy linen pieces this spring/summer. There goes my dry cleaning bill!

I bought this gorgeous Tory Burch tote last summer. I love the rows of tiny square cut-outs, which give an otherwise basic white tote some interesting texture. You can find a similar tote here and my classic gold wedges here.

*The fit is slightly loose and boxy (as most shifts are). I usually wear size 00, but since many brands don’t offer this size, I often end up tailoring an XS or 0. I was delighted that I didn’t have to tailor this dress, although I owe my delight to this waist-defining linen sash belt. Just ooone little caveat: Before this photo session, I assumed I'd be able to find this belt or one like it online (I bought at the Island Co store), but it appears that white linen sash belts rare artifacts. I will continue searching and let you know if I find something similar!

And how adorable is this navy anchor wheel medallion hat by Mud Pie? I bought it two summers ago at In The Pink, Edgartown's Lilly boutique, and it's stayed in perfect shape (a rare occurrence for me, since I wear hats daily in the spring/summer).