October 27, 2016

Great Investment: Entertaining Pieces

I’ve always loved playing hostess and entertaining guests. And with the holiday season right around the corner, entertaining is on the brain. Over the years, I’ve collected quite the assortment of fun dishes and party decorations. But now that I have a full kitchen and dining area at my fingertips, I’m ready to start investing in more sophisticated entertaining accessories. Here are a few pieces on my wish list this season....

1. Emily McCarthy Monogrammed Ice Bucket

I firmly believe that elegance is about paying attention to small details, like monograms and custom engravings. I have a beautiful Tiffany crystal ice bucket, which I inherited from my grandmother, that’s just begging to be engraved. But if Tiffany is out of your price range, you absolutely must consider this engraved ice bucket by Emily McCarthy. The design is perfectly simple (as most good designs are) and the monogram options are seriously impressive. To borrow Jonathan Adler’s catchphrase, it’s definitely something your heirs will fight over.

2. Shiraleah Gold Antler Candlesticks

I’ve wanted a set like this one for I don’t know how long. I’m a sucker for anything gold, and these will add just the right amount of woodsy-ness to my holiday table.

 3. Crate & Barrel Marble Pastry Slab

 Ok, so I already own this piece. But since I just bought it, I think it still counts as something I’m currently coveting. There are a number of creative ways to use marble slabs. They make great cheese boards, vanity trays, and backgrounds for object photos. And I recently ran across this awesome DIY tutorial that shows you how to add gold antler handles to your slab (which I’m seriously considering!).

4. Tory Burch Spongeware

 I love bowls for centerpieces because they make as much of a statement as a vase without blocking the view of the person sitting across from you. I’ve been obsessing over Tory’s spongeware line since it debuted last spring and this bowl is the perfect piece to kick-start my personal collection (wouldn't it look gorgeous filled with glass ornaments for Christmas?). The plan is to buy one serving piece or plate set a month—and in six months, I’ll own just about the entire collection. As much as I love to mix, I think every hostess should own at least one set of matching dishes that completely defines her style.

5. Sasha Nichols Monogrammed China

Is there anything more elegant than monogrammed china? Sasha Nichols, one of my favorite china designers (who also happens to be a St. Louis local!), created this incredible monogrammable dinnerware collection for Emily McCarthy. The plates are a little pricey, especially for entertaining more than a few guests, but totally worth the splurge! One way I save money on tablescapes while still satisfying my taste for fine china is to buy only the salad plates and mix them in with less expensive dinner plates. Monogrammed plates are especially suited for this strategy since you’re only going to see the top plate’s monogram.