November 5, 2016

What's In My Coat Closet

It’s about time I get real about why I haven’t moved to a warmer climate: my coat/jacket habit. It’s like some women’s shoe habits. If you opened my closet, you’d see exactly what you’d expect from someone who loves coats: no rack space! I feel a tinge of embarrassment whenever I go to hang a guests’ coat in my *large* entryway closet only to find that it’s too full to accommodate even one more.

And, like the Carries of the shoe world, I too have a meticulous style guide that I’ve carefully (and reluctantly) whittled down to include only the essential basics. I’m going to ignore the fact that there are about as many articles on “must-have” coats as there are on Shakespeare and just focus on the styles in my closet that truly get the most wear. My list of essentials has (not surprisingly) grown quite large but after careful thought, I’ve narrowed it to fourteen can’t-live-without styles...

*I dedicate this post to my mom, who insisted I wear a jacket or coat to school whenever the weather even hinted at chilly. I was always the most bundled up kid on the playground.